Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Pros and Cons of Bryant Park at Lunch

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been having lunch at Bryant Park. Even though I've worked in this same area for the past 5 years, I always assumed that the vast popularity of the park would make finding a table impossible at lunch. What I didn't realize was that you just have to keep looking, and eventually you'll find a quiet table in some random corner.

Now that I have been going for a few weeks, I thought I'd share my experiences with all 3 of you in the form of a Pros and Cons list.

Pros

- Convenience. It's well within walking distance, yet far enough from work that you don't have to hide behind your book to avoid your coworkers.

- People-Watching. Look long enough and you'll see everything from sexy young office workers, to burly, sweaty construction workers and everything in between. If you have a staring problem like me, then you'll want to keep your sunglasses on. After all, you're still in New York City.

- 'wichcraft is there. Unfortunately, this location doesn't carry their phenomenal Blackened Flank Steak sandwich, but it's still better than a pretzel cart.

- Where else can you lay on the grass during your lunch break?

Cons

- Tourists. They are everywhere, and they are taking pictures of everything. If you don't mind ending up in the background of one of their shots, you might not even care.

- Homeless. Yep, even Bryant Park has them. They shuffle about, and mutter crazy talk while you're trying to eat your lunch or read a book. Today I saw one slap himself in the head repeatedly. I was tempted to clap along, he was so rhythmic about it.

- Shady Thieving Bastards. The other day I caught some guy eyeballing my iPod as I used it to weigh down the pages of my manuscript. I use binder clips now.

- Amateur Photographers - the ping pong table is a magnet for every asshole with an expensive digital SLR camera who feels the need to document this boring activity between two random strangers.

- Le Carrousel. If you value silence and hate small, squealing children accompanied by pre-recorded circus music, avoid sitting near Le Carrousel. It will drive you insane within minutes.

Thank you.

No comments: