Monday, September 27, 2010

I Think I Might Be Adopted

Last weekend I was in CVS, taking a leisurely browse through the aisles. I had just passed a well dressed woman standing in front of the cosmetics counter. She greeted me with a pleasant "hello" and I said the same in return. As I stood in the office supply section, a short, dumpy woman marched up the aisle. She wore a depressing, dark gray sweatshirt and matching sweat pants. Her limp, straight hair hung like a wet mop. She wore no makeup. The woman at the cosmetics counter began to say "hello."

"No thank you!" shouted the woman with a raised hand. She kept right on walking and entered the next aisle.

I could not believe what I just witnessed. I know that I can be rude myself sometimes, but I would never blatantly do this to someone who is only doing their job. Of course, it's quite another thing if it's one of those vile Jehovas witnesses. I curse at them.

As I stood there in the aisle wondering if I could have been mistaken, the pudgy fart came back.

"I am so sorry. I did not mean to be so rude and nasty. I am so sorry." She was clearly mortified and shocked by her own behavior.

The sales woman told her not to worry about it and pudgy left.

A few seconds later, a loud voice boomed from the next aisle.

"I hate PEOPLE! I hate everybody!" The voice was unmistakable. Had someone bumped into her? Were they out of Midol?

I smiled upon hearing her little rant because it's something I often say myself. Although, when I say "I hate people", I am usually a little more subtle about it.

I walked around the corner to see if I might be able to witness her getting into a hair pulling match with another shopper. I wouldn't put it past her to knock somebody over to get to the last bag of Twix.

As I turned the corner, I thought about jokingly telling her that I thought that she might be my birth mother, but she was gone.

This is all I have left to remember her by.  Click to enlarge.

1 comment:

Hamamama said...

sometimes I think we were separated by birth....brother from another mother and father?????