Monday, March 16, 2009

Weekend Update: Stinky Sinky


Friday night, David came over for drinks. Since Larry hadn't eaten all day, the alcohol hit him a lot faster than you'd expect.

It's actually funny to watch him drink. You can actually pinpoint the exact second when the alcohol takes effect because his speech goes. It's as if he's a robot and just spilled something on his electronic voice box.

"Yeah, we're still working on renova-shing de upshtairs crotheths."

After David left, we headed upstairs. Larry fell asleep on the couch.

Because I was only mildly buzzed, I didn't have the urge (or patience) to do anything constructive. I spent some time online, and then turned on Food Network.

Before I knew it, it was 2:00 in the morning.

It's always after I've just wasted five hours of my life that I realize, Damn. I could have read a book...or worked on my manuscript...or finished my mosaics...or designed some new ones...or done yoga...or updated my blog(s).

Since there was no way in hell I could wake Larry, I left him on the couch and went to bed.

At 7:30 Larry woke up, with all the energy of a chipmunk on crack.

"Go make coffee! Go make coffee!" he ordered.

"Leave me alone," I moaned. "I was up until two." I went back to sleep.

9:00 - Larry and I were upstairs drinking coffee and watching TV when I heard a gurgling sound coming from the kitchen.

I crept half way down the stairs and peeked into the kitchen. The sink was filling up with black, soapy water at an alarming rate.

"It's the sink again!" I yelled back to Larry.

Click Read more to continue

We rushed downstairs and stared at the kitchen sink, filling up with water. Brave Larry stuck his arm in amidst the ice cube tray and martini glasses that were floating in the muck. He tried to clear the drain so that the water can go back down once it stops filling up.

This has happened before. The main sink line for the building gets clogged and backs up into the lower level apartment sinks. We first noticed this about a year ago, but it wasn't nearly this bad. At most we would have I Love Lucy-style soap suds that would fill the sink. This was Larry's reason to pick out an extra deep kitchen sink.

The water finally stopped - one inch from the top of the sink - and we stood waiting for it to go back down.

"Should I get the camera?"

"Yes."

I fired off a couple shots of the sink and regretted not doing the dishes last night. These will go nicely framed on the wall next to the pictures from the pressure cooker catastrophe


Larry called the super. Since she didn't answer her phone, he left a message, and then called the managing agent.

About ten minutes later, the super called back - from Washington DC. She was a little bitchy now, because she must have gotten a call from the managing agent and we somehow busted her for being out of town.

She told us that a plumber would be coming over within 45 minutes. Girlfriend has connections.

With the situation under control, I started to get ready for my trip to Astoria. I knew that Larry could handle the situation without me.

I crept around the plumber's tool bag and waved goodbye to Larry.

I was relieved to be out of there, but knew in my heart that the real fun was waiting for me in Astoria. Grocery shopping with Daddy and The Embarrassment.

2 comments:

Hamamama said...

where are the photos? never a dull moment in chelsea!!

Chris said...

They're coming. Tomorrow, I promise!