Monday, March 9, 2009

My Big Fat Greek Meatballs


Anyone who has been reading this blog for a while knows a little bit about my cooking disasters. Nevertheless, I continue to seek out new recipes.

When I was a kid, I loved Greek meatballs. I would eat as many as I could before getting chastised by some old hag at the dinner table during one of our massive family dinners.

I decided to Google "Greek meatballs" today. I decided that I would limit my search to websites that are obviously Greek to be sure that I'd find a real recipe, and not some bastardized, Americanized version made with cold cuts and Wonder Bread.

The recipes that came up are irritatingly varied - as if to conceal the real recipe from fools like me who are so disconnected from their heritage that they might as well be Irish.

Some of the recipes call for toast as an ingredient, another calls for French bread.

Read this ingredient list and see if you can figure out what's wrong with it. If you can't or you're too lazy, allow me to highlight it for you.

1lb / 1/2kg of ground beef
One choped onion
1 egg
Some olive oil
Some chopped mint leaves
Some
flour
Salt, pepper and oregano seasoning

Does it get anymore vague (or lazy) than this? I don't know.

I'm surprised the rest of the recipe doesn't read like this: Mix everything together and cook.

I won't post a link to the website where I found this because I'm just embarrassed for them.

1 comment:

Hamamama said...

how do these greek meatballs differ from any other kind of meatball? do you have a special oregano seasonining?