Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Light at the End of the Stairwell

With the light at the end of the tunnel visible, I thought I'd share a few of the more interesting things I've done during the course of this renovation:

- Brushed my teeth in the kitchen sink
- Brushed my teeth in the shower
- Not brushed my teeth because there was no sink at all
- Cooked dinner in the empty shell of the kitchen, with nothing but a toaster oven perched atop a file cabinet.
- Eaten dinner while sitting on the floor next to the detached bathroom sink (pictured)


- Taken a shower in the bathroom after the tub surround walls had been already been demolished
- Washed dishes in the bathroom sink
- Washed dishes in the bathtub
- Turned lights on and off via circuit breakers
- Slept on a disconnected (and dangerous) murphy bed
- Dragged a wet towel down the hall to avoid vacuuming up construction dust at the end of the day

Prior to the stair installation, this was my morning routine for over a month:

- Set the alarm clock 10-15 minutes earlier than normal
- Get dressed (shorts, tee shirt, sneakers)
- Grab work clothes
- Crack open front door, peek out
- Quickly rush down hallway
- Open door to stairs
- Try not to fall down stairs
- Open second door
- Rush down hallway to apartment
- Fuss with unfamiliar lock
- Slam door
- Take shower
- Dry off
- Realize that I've forgotten one or more of the following:

A) hair gel
B) underwear
C) socks
D) electric razor
E) work clothes
F) all of the above

Here are a few things I'm looking forward to:

-Cooking in an oven instead of a toaster oven or microwave
-Baking a cake
-Eating, at a table, while sitting on a chair, instead of in front of a coffee table covered in paperwork
- Going to the gym afterwork, in lieu of vacuuming the hallways and sweeping up construction debris
-Watching the snow fall on the deck while sitting by the window with a cup of cocoa on a cold Sunday morning (total Nestle commercial cliche, I know)
- Loading the dishwasher
-Sleeping in late, then waking up to realize, "There's nothing left to do."

2 comments:

Jim said...

During the incredibly quick renovation of a bathroom we once had, I had to brush my teeth and pee in the kitchen sink. Same day. No curtains on the house yet.

Chris said...

I don't understand. They don't show people peeing in sinks on HGTV. What are we doing wrong?