Monday, October 27, 2008

Maybe I Should Just Change My Email Address Instead

If it's one thing I hate, it's chain letters. I received this one over the weekend. Scroll down for my response and vitriol commentary.

Sorry, guys, it's quick and for a kid's school project! And you are the ones I thought might follow through - either because you have kids, you like science, or you're just plain nice.) This is for a science fair project. If you could do this I would appreciate it! DON'T ASK, JUST PLAY! Copy and paste this entire letter into a new e-mail (PLEASE do NOT hit FORWARD), then read the list of names below. If your name is on the list put a star* next to it. If not, then add your name (in alphabetical order), and do not put in a star. Send it to ten people and send it back to the person who sent it to you. Put your name in the subject box! You'll see what happens...It's kind of cool! Please keep this going. Don't mess it up, please:

Aaron, Adam, Adrienne, Aileen, Alan, Alastair, Alexis, Allison, Amber, Ann, Arlene,
Basia, Becky, Bethany, Bill,
Carlotta, Cathy, Cheryl, Chris, Christine, Cindy, Craig,
Danielle, Darren, Debbie, Demi, Denise, Dianne
Elizabeth,
Gayle,
Isabel
Janine, Jerry, Jeri,
Karen, Kathie, Kathleen, Kit,
Leticia, Lynda,
Megan, Michele, Mindy
Paula,
Rudy,
Stacy
Toni


Because of the way it was written, I assumed that it was some kind of fundraiser.

My first thought was, This has nothing to do with Science.

My second thought was, Some poor kid will spend his or her whole life correcting people on the pronunciation and spelling of "Alastair."

My third thought was, There are at least 47 fucking idiots with active email addresses. How can I make money off them?"

I clicked "Reply All" and wrote this:

Please tell me which school board is behind this email. I would like to know which school system actually thinks there are those of us out there who are naive enough to do as instructed and click SEND, then wait by our computers for "something" to happen, when the only thing that will happen is that we will have wasted five minutes of our lives over an email originated by someone who apparently has no life at all.

I'm waiting.


Obviously, I know that there is no school behind this, but I wanted to prove a point about gullibility, especially having received this from a school teacher with a kid of her own.

How many chain emails need to pass through your inbox before you realize that NOTHING "COOL" WILL EVER HAPPEN IF YOU FORWARD IT TO YOUR ENTIRE FUCKING ADDRESS BOOK!

For fuck's sake! Stop being such a stupid idiot!

End of rant.

3 comments:

Glory von Hathor said...

But now, like, the ghost of some person may haunt you, or UR CRUSH may not phone you in the next five minutes!

You've so got the right idea. I also enjoy replying with the link to the appropriate www.snopes.com page when sent something really pukesome. See http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/inboxer.asp

nikoeternal.com said...

That's what you get for having friends with the maturity level of a 9 year old and the IQ of.....hell, even newborns are smarter!

Hamamama said...

I was a sucker and did this too. What a fool.