Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wanted: Drill Sergeant


This morning, I had to come to work extra early. About an hour and 15 minutes earlier than normal.

Coming in earlier to help set up the catering for a client meeting is not hard at all. You wait for the caterer, you point him to the appropriate conference room, let him set everything up, sign the receipt, wave goodbye - and then steal a cup of coffee before the meeting starts. I've done this countless times, although it's usually just a half hour early.

Dragging myself out of bed at 6:30 was torture today. I don't know how some people do it. I see them jogging in the morning and I want to shove them into traffic.

I tried listening to some very fast paced music on my iPod, but that didn't help much. All it did was make me walk funny. (Shut up)

Useless Fantasy: I would love to be able to get up early enough to go to the gym every single day - even in winter. I've determined that I'd have to get my ass out of bed at 6:30 in order to make it happen, so it is possible. I could theoretically get back to my apartment in time to resume my normal morning ritual.

You have no idea how many times I've tried this. The alarm goes off, I look at it, scoff, then reset it for 7:30.

I've only gone to the gym in the morning twice in my lifetime. The first time was incredible and I felt awesome all day long, like a superhero. The second time, a day later, I just could not do it, as I was just too exhausted. I struggled to get some momentum going on the stairclimber, but it was useless. I had no energy at all.

There are some people who can control their bodies, and there are some who let their bodies dictate what they do.

Guess which kind I am?

Hmm, maybe if I stay up all night, I'll get a second wind by the time 6:30 rolls around.

3 comments:

Hamamama said...

You and I will be drinking caffeine all day!! Long night for me too. Let's see who is crankiest by 3:00 PM -- my $ is on moi.

Vidis said...

I love how you mention that you take a cup of cawfee before the clients come - me too! ... and maybe even surreptitiously undo the cellophane on the fruit platter and nick a strawberry or cantaloupe or something, and rearrange it so that it looks unscathed ;-)
My boss says he wants to change my hours from 10-6 - Crap! ... you might be pushing me into traffic soon in the mornings as I make my lazy ass jog to the gym!

nikoeternal.com said...

A little yoga is perfect to wake you up in the morning. There's lots of great DVDs with 20-25 minute routines. That way you don't have to worry about going to the gym. My favorite DVDs to practice to when I don't have a lot of time are Namaste. Thirteen 25 minute episodes from the FitTV program. You can get them here: http://namaste.tv/store_dvds.html