Friday, July 18, 2008

Next Year, I Might Not Want It


So, yesterday, my building hosted an "Ice Cream Social." This means free ice cream and other treats in the building lobby. In addition to a postponed diet.

They held a raffle, the three prizes being: an iPhone, a Canon SD890is camera, and a portable DVD player.

I prayed and prayed that I might win the Canon camera, so imagine my surprise when one of the building managers came off the elevator with her assistant - and a stack of prizes in her hand.

She pulled out a piece of paper and started to ask, "Is David..." and I knew instantly that I had won NOTHING in yesterday's (likely fixed) drawing.

It turned out that David won the iPhone, the other two prizes were on their way to two other lucky winners elsewhere in the building.

I wanted to slap her, take the boxes and run.

Unfortunately, she didn't get the joke when I said, "No, he's not here." My bitterness took over and ruined my comedic timing.

Had I had time to prepare, I'd have said, "He's no longer with the company - but he bequeathed any winnings to me in his will."

She started fussing with her expensive digital camera and mumbled, "I hate this camera." I bit my tongue before I could say, "Really? Are you giving that one away as well?"

I called David and had him come to reception, but didn't tell him why. See? I at least tried to make it a surprise!

The final indignity came when I had to take a picture of the three of them with their camera. Luckily a food delivery came to break up the tension.

"There's always next year," they said to me, sensing my childlike behavior. I laughed as I took the bag of food and walked into the hallway, my fake smile turning into a frown of disappointment.

No, really. I'm not a sore loser.

Why are you looking at me like that?

2 comments:

nikoeternal.com said...

You have some dirt on ur face

nikoeternal.com said...

No, not there...do mirror image to me...no, not quite...more to the left....nevermind