Thursday, July 17, 2008

He Goes Both Ways


Someone made a comment that really made me think today. I have been debating putting this kind of post up, at the expense of turning off readers who have come to think of this as a sarcastic, fun blog.

Confession - I don't really know who am - on a political level. I know that I'm not totally conservative, but I'm not totally liberal, either. I mean, there are times when I'm conservative (99% of my bitching is aimed at "jokingly" hurting someone) and then I'm liberal in regards to things like animal rights and stopping abusers (or throwing them in pools of broken glass).

What do you call this? Am I moderate? Am I independent? Or am I just unable to make up my mind? No, I don't think I have multiple personalities. Most people I know seem to know exactly what they are.

I tend not to talk about politics, because A) it's a hot-button issue, B) it's boring, and C) who cares? They're all "shady" in the end. That's how I see them, because that's how some of them are eventually revealed (cough-Spitzer-cough).

Confession: Up until two years ago, I never understood what the phrase, "bleeding-heart liberal" meant. I never thought to ask, because I never cared. And in finding out, I know that's not me.

Every time I turn on the news, I become even more confused about the presidential race. I think we need to establish a third middle party in this country and keep it there - for good. Sometimes it's not that cut and dry. Why should we have to chose A or B when C could be the answer. C as in "compromise."

That annoys me.

Here are some examples:

I think that welfare and food stamps are fine for those who are elderly or disabled, yet they have produced generations of cheats who are lazy and don't want to work. I think those people need to be tossed out onto the street and forced to find a job.

I think we should build a wall at the Mexican border, but I also think that there needs to be a new Ellis Island, so that people who are coming anyway can get documented and screened for fatal, contagious diseases, as well as a criminal bent.

I can't stand Fox News (they're homophobes), but I also don't care for The Daily Show with John Stewart (he's a little too smug for me).

I respect authority (ex. NYPD, government), but I don't think we need Big Brother to tell us what we are allowed to eat or not (cough-transfats-cough). A warning (or ad campaign) is good enough. If you're too stupid to avoid the bad foods, then you deserve to explode out of your clothes in the middle of that all-you-can-eat buffet at the Olive Garden.

I am happy that monster SUVs are dying off, but I'm also horny for the 2010 Chevy Camaro. I'd probably never buy a Prius, because I like to be able to slam my foot on the gas in a fit of road rage.

I'm all for animal rights, the end of shark-fin soup and poaching, but I'm not going to join a radical organization like PeTA. I'll just donate to my local shelter.

Don't even get me started on organized religion.

1 comment:

nikoeternal.com said...

I'm totally glad NY banned trans fats. I also think every restaurant should be required to have a list of ingredients for everything on their menu. Otherwise u never know what the hell you're eating.

I'm also kind of middle of the road politically, but the Bush Administration has pushed me well into the realm of Democrats. In the end it doesn't really matter what u call yourself as long as u check what the candidates stand for and vote the way u feel.