Sunday, October 28, 2007

Crazy


I like seeing crazy people in everyday life. Like homeless people screaming on street corners, they're free theatre.

The worst crazy I ever saw was back in 2004. I was in Astoria, going to a club. On the way, I stopped at a Dunkin Donuts, figuring that I needed a nice caffeinated rush to get me up and dancing.

Since it was about midnight, the store was empty-except for one crazy man. He had a coffee can on the table that was filled with little metal tabs from soda cans. Hundreds of them. He must have been saving these for years. On the table, he had lined them up in rows, almost covering the entire surface. If this happened today, I would have whipped out my camera phone instantly.

When I got to work on Monday, I relayed the story to my boss. "Oh, I saw the epitome of crazy this weekend!" I announced. But I was disappointed (and a little embarrased) when she just looked at me with pity, rather than laughing out loud at the story. Maybe I'm the one who's crazy?

No comments: